As a Food Lover, you’re well on your way to a slimmer waistline. Soon enough, you may even need a whole new wardrobe of “skinny clothes.” In the meantime, here are some simple, slenderizing fashion strategies to help you “fake it till you make it.”
1. Get right-sized. Never wear clothes that are too small for you. It won’t make you look thinner. Instead, it will just draw attention to the areas you’d most like to camouflage.
2. Lose the Muumuu. We often think hiding our figure under yards of fabric and baggy clothes will somehow make us look smaller. It doesn’t work. Instead, opt for a dress that fits well but doesn’t eat you up.
3. Mix and match. Use light and dark colors to make your body appear more in proportion. For example, if you are bottom-heavy or “pear-shaped,” try dark (slimming) pants with a lighter-toned top.
4. Accentuate the positive. If you’re more top heavy or “apple shaped,” v-neck and shirt collars are your most flattering necklines.
5. Use vertical stripes to lengthen. Avoid clothes with horizontal stripes. Try vertical stripes instead. This will make you seem taller and, as a result, slimmer. Seams and piping also help to stretch you out.